Old Station Tintern - history
The Wye Valley Railway opened in 1876 and Tintern became ever more popular as largenumbers of visitors arrived by train from the West Midlands and West Country.
Railway excursions to view the harvest moon rising through the rose window of Tintern Abbey were in vogue in the 1880s. Thousands came on special trains, alighting here for the 20 minute walk to the Abbey. The station was built here and not in Tintern village, where the valley is too narrow.
A branch line was constructed to serve the Wireworks, crossing the river via a new bridge, aptly named the Wireworks Bridge.